Thursday, September 11, 2008

Carpooling

So I was driving home from work, minding my own business, when something caught my eye. I glanced up and noticed I had a passenger. A HUGE grasshopper was clinging to the fabric on the roof of my car. Oh my gosh... I screamed so loud that I'm sure the folks in the cars around me thought I was possessed.

One guy looked over as I was staring at my ceiling while driving 60 mph on Bangerter Highway. He gave me a look like, "What are you doing?" then promptly sped up and cut me off. Nice.

I was about 5 blocks from home when I saw my new friend, so I had to keep a watchful eye on him so he wouldn't jump on me before I could run out of the car. Luckily he crawled (upside down) to the back of the car by the back window. Phew. But, suddenly, I looked back and he'd disappeared. AHHHHH! I frantically looked on the seats, the floor, the back of the car (don't worry I was at a red light) but he was nowhere to be found. So I turned into my neighborhood and onto my street and WHAM the grasshopper had jumped to right by my shoulder. I screamed and swerved and leaned away ... all in front of my new neighbor who was watering his lawn. Welcome to the crazy neighborhood!

At least Jovi was happy to see my new friend ... for about 5 seconds. Then... yum!

7 comments:

Shelly said...

You crack me up!! Sid loves the grasshopper picture. We found a frog in our sprinkler box this morning and it has been the news of the day. It is a pretty good size and is jumping and jumping, trying to get out. I think we will enjoy him today and then help him get free after the kids go to bed (Savannah hasn't seen him yet)!!

Molly said...

Too funny. The great thing is that I can actually picture you jumping and hear you squeeling. Makes me happy to know you're still so vivid in my mind even though we rarely see each other!

caitlin said...

The people in your neighborhood are probably going to start mentioning the 12 step program..

MisterE said...

Whenever I have visitors in my car that take the form of bugs I roll down all the windows and they go right for it. Which must be a nice exit for them going 60 plus, kind of like skydiving.

I am glad that you didn't hit anyone or that the hopper didn't hit you. That would have caused a crash!

As a side note my Dad used to eat these little fellas when he was a kid. Brings a whole new meaning to grasshopper cookies!

Bugs said...

I would have been doing the same thing. In fact I think I have before! I really think it's ironic (or ionic) that my name is Bugs. Anything creepy-crawly gives me the heebie-jeebies! YUCK!!

mindy said...

that would have bugged me.

Bonnie said...

Gosh, I have hilarious friends. I love you all!